Handbook for parents & carers

2. School Life

Special educational needs/The Local Offer


A Local Offer gives children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities and their families, information about what support services the local authority think will be available in their local area.  Every local authority is responsible for writing a Local Offer and making sure it is available for everyone to see.


This document outlines Lindal and Marton Primary School’s contribution to the local offer and our approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs which is supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.


Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s   difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?

  Responsible for:

  •   The day to   day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for   children with SEND.
  •   Coordinating   all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities   (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get   a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  •   Liaising   with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your   child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology   etc...
  •   Updating   the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of   pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent   records of your child’s progress and needs.
  •   Providing   specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can   help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.
  •   Making   sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the   school relating to SEND.
  •   Ensuring   that you are:
    • involved in supporting your child’s learning
    • kept informed about the support your child is getting
    • involved in reviewing how they are doing


Class teacher
  Responsible for:

  •   Checking   on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any   additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work,   additional support) and letting consulting the SENCO/Headteacher as   necessary.
  •   Writing   SEND Support Plans and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least twice   over the academic year and contributing to the planning of any intervention   programmes for the next term.
  •   Ensuring   that all staff working with your child in school are supported to deliver the   planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible   progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist   help and specially planned work and resources.
  •   Ensuring   that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the   pupils they teach with any SEND.

SEN Governor
  Responsible for:

  •   Making   sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school   who has SEND.


What are the different types of support available for children with   SEND in Lindal and Marton School?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted   classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.
For your child this would mean:

  •   That the   teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils   in their class.
  •   That all   teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and   can understand.
  •   Providing   individual/group/class targets for specific areas of the curriculum to   promote progress.
  •   Different   ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in   learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical   learning.
  •   Specific   strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff) are in   place to support your child to learn.
  •   Your   child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will   have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and   needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

All children in school will receive this as a   part of excellent classroom practice when needed.


Specific group work with in a smaller group of   children.
This support, often called Intervention groups by   schools, may involve:

  •   Working in   the classroom or being withdrawn.
  •   Being led   by a teacher or most often a teaching assistant who has had training to run   these groups.
  •   Working on   specific programmes of work designed to address specific needs.
  •   Working in   a group with children from another class or year group.

Receiving individual support from an adult.
This is often called   ‘one to one’ and may involve:

  •   Working in the classroom or being withdrawn.
  •   Working on specific activities designed to support progress towards   curriculum or social and personal targets.
  •   Being led by a teacher or a teaching assistant.

Specialist support
Occasionally a pupil   may need more targeted support from a member of an outside agency such as an   Occupational Therapist or Speech and Language Teacher.  A referral will be made by the SENCO to   access this support which may involve:

  •   A form being completed to provide information on your child and their   SEND.
  •   Consultation and contribution from parents when completing any referral   forms
  •   A specialist coming into school to complete an assessment.
  •   A report being completed to provide recommendations on what strategies   could be employed to support your child.
  •   The specialist may come into school to work directly with your child.
  •   Specific training may be delivered to school staff to enhance existing   support strategies.
  •   Resources may be provided by the specialist to help school deliver more   targeted support.

Educational Health Care Plans
The majority of   children with SEND will have their needs met by the methods already   described.  In special cases a child   may require an EHC needs assessment in order for the local authority to   decide whether additional provision is necessary.  An assessment will involve seeking the   views of the child, parents, school staff and any other professionals   involved in supporting your child.

If the Local Authority   decides to issue your child with an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) it will   involve:

  •   An outline of how health, care and educational support will be   co-ordinated in order to support your child.
  •   A yearly review where the local authority will assess the effectiveness   of provision and support.


How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress   in school?


  •   If you   have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s   class teacher initially.
  •   If you are   not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still   not making progress you should speak to the SENCO/Headteacher
  •   If you are   still not happy you can speak to the school SEND Governor.


How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my   child’s learning in school?


If your child is then identified as not making   progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more   detail and to:

  •   listen to   any concerns you may have too
  •   plan any   additional support your child may receive
  •   discuss   with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s   learning


How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move   between the different levels?

  •   The school   budget, received from Cumbria LA, includes money for supporting children with   SEND.
  •   The Head   Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities   in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the   school.
  •   The Head   Teacher/SENCO will discuss with staff and governors all the information they   have about SEND in the school, including:
    • the children getting extra support already
    • the children needing extra support
    • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress   as would be expected

A decision   will then be made about what resources/training and support is needed.

  •   All   resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as   needed.


Who are the other people providing services to children with an SEN in   this school?

Directly funded by the school:

  •   Teaching   Assistant working within small groups
  •   SENCO

Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered   in school:

  •   Educational   Psychology Service
  •   Specialist   Advisory Teachers
  •   Speech and   Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority).
  •   Pupil   Referral Unit

Provided and paid for by the Health Service (NHS   Trust):

  •   School   Nurse
  •   Occupational   Therapy
  •   Physiotherapy
  •   Child   Development Centre (Paediatricians)
  •   CAMHS   (Children and Adolescents Mental Health Service)


How are the teachers in school helped to work with children who may   have SEND and what training do they have?


  •   The SENCO’s   role is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.
  •   The school   has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of   children including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on   SEND issues such as ASD and Speech and language difficulties.
  •   Individual   teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies   that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.


How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?


  •   Class   Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of   children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.
  •   Specially   trained support staff can adapt the teachers planning to support the needs of   your child where necessary.
  •   Specific   resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and   in groups.
  •   Planning   and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s   learning needs.


How will we measure the progress of your child in school?


  •   Your   child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
  •   His/her   progress is reviewed formally every term and their progress is tracked.
  •   At the end   of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are   required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This   is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results   that are published nationally.
  •   Pupils in   year 1 undertake a statutory phonics screening test which helps us track   progress
  •   Pupils in   Reception are assessed using the Foundation Stage Profile.
  •   Children   making slower progress will be given additional support outlined in their SEND   Support Plan which will be reviewed with your involvement at least twice over   the academic year.
  •   The   progress of children with a statement of SEND/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed   at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.  Parents will be expected to attend to   contribute their own views about their child’s progress.
  •   The Head/SENCO   will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual   work and in any group that they take part in.


What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEND?


  •   The class   teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any   concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at   home and school so similar strategies can be used.
  •   The Head/SENCO   is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any   concerns/worries you may have.
  •   All   information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the   person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  •   SEND   Support plans will be reviewed with your involvement each review cycle.
  •   Homework   will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.
  •   A   home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when   this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.


How is Lindal and Marton School accessible to children with SEND?


  • The building is accessible to children with        physical disability via 3 single doors at ground level.
  • Three classrooms are situated on the ground        floor, one classroom is via one flight of stairs with handrails.
  • The office, hall and toilets (suitable for disabled        access) are on the ground floor.
  • The staffroom/withdrawal room is accessed        via stairs with two hand rails at different heights to suit children        from reception to year 6.
  • We ensure that specialist equipment used is        accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • All classrooms contain furniture which is        suitable for the age of children using them.  Visual timetables are used in all        classrooms and all resources are clearly labelled and accessible.
  • The school has a range of ICT software and        hardware including class sets of laptops.  These are often used to make        activities more accessible to pupils with SEND.
  • After school provision is accessible to all        children including those with SEND.
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible        for children with SEND.



  •   The   outdoor area consists of various levels and various types of surfaces.  The outdoor area is on a graduated slope   and has both steps and sloping paths to access the different levels.
  •   Outdoor   activities and educational trips are available to all our pupils.
  •   Risk   assessments are completed and always consider the needs of children with   SEND.  Procedures are put in place to   ensure that all children can participate.
  •   If a risk   assessment identifies the need for a child to have more intensive support then   a parent or carer will be invited to attend or the child will be accompanied   by an additional member of staff or governor.


How will we support your child when they are leaving this school or   moving on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult   for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a   smooth as possible.

  •   If your   child is moving to another school:
    • We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any   special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
    • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as   soon as possible.
    •   When   moving classes in school:
      • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and   in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All   support plans will be shared with the new teacher.
      • If any reports by outside agencies exist they too will be shared.
      • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand   moving on then it will be made for them.
      •   In Year 6:  
        • The SENCO and Headteacher will hold meetings with the next school to   discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCO of their secondary   school.
        • Your child will complete focussed activities about aspects of transition   to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
        • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several   occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child   in this school.

Cumbria’s Local Offer website offers further information and guidance for children and young people with additional educational needs