Newsletters

10th February Newsletter

Picture of Mrs Doran
10th February Newsletter
by Mrs Doran - Friday, 10 February 2017, 6:26 PM

Young Voices 2017

Well done to all our choir who performed in last night’s Young Voices concert at Manchester.  What a fabulous experience for them!  Thank you to Miss Stewart for organizing everything and to both Mrs Dalziel and Mrs Jarvis for giving up so much time to work with the choir.  Also, thank you to the children who behaved so well that they were praised by staff from another school.

Raffle Prizes

Friends of LAMPS are continuing to work hard to plan fundraising events that both children, parents and the community can enjoy.  We have the Valentines Disco next Friday (6-8pm) which costs £2.50 and is payable on the door.  Also, after the half term break we have the Coffee Morning at the Coronation Hall (Thurs, 9th March) and then the Bingo evening on the Friday after. 

The success of both these events is reliant on your donations for raffle prizes.  Anything you can offer will be greatly appreciated.  Items no matter how big or small can be brought into school or given to Jane Smith. 

Thank you.

Road Safety

There are 3 issues regarding road safety that I would like to share with you.

1. Some parents have mentioned their concern regarding the mud and cow muck on the road leading up to school.  We have tried unsuccessfully to contact the farmer about this issue. We have notified the Highways Agency and have spoken to local PSCOs who have seen the situation for themselves and assured us they would pass it on to the      relevant personnel. 

2. We have been in communication with the Highways Agency for the past 12 months to campaign for a reduced speed limit on Pit Lane.  Unfortunately we have been told that Highways are unable to reduce the current 30mph limit to 20mph.  However, they have agreed to provide flashing lights with an advisory 20mph limit and to re-paint the road markings.  Orders for this work to be carried out are currently being processed. Whilst we are pleased there will be some improvement, we do not feel that it is enough to safeguard our pupils. Pit Lane is a narrow road, with no      pavement.  It is used frequently by heavy construction and farm traffic and this, together with the fact that the school opens directly onto a road which, just a few meters away has a speed limit of 60mph, puts both children, parents and staff in danger so please be aware.

3. A number of our Key Stage 2 children are walking to and from school. The majority of our pupils are very sensible and responsible enough to walk the short distance to their homes. However, I have recently been spoken to by a member of staff and another parent about individuals who are not behaving appropriately on the way home and are putting themselves in danger.  I have spoken to these individuals and we plan to deliver some road safety lessons in school.  Given the dangers that I have already mentioned, if you do have a child in the juniors who is walking to and from school, I would urge you to speak directly to them about road safety and the consequence of not taking this matter seriously.

Internet Safety

Tuesday 6th February was Internet Safety Day.  Whilst we continually communicate this message to our pupils, we used Tuesday to highlight the importance of keeping safe online across the whole school.  Our activities began with an assembly delivered by Mr Procter and then each class teacher planned sessions to raise awareness and develop their understanding.  We are very lucky in this school.  Listening to the children share their experiences it is clear that they have an excellent awareness of how to keep themselves safe and what information they should and shouldn’t share.  I would like to thank our parents for reinforcing this message at home and taking all the steps necessary to ensure the children are not susceptible to the negative and sometimes unpleasant aspects that internet use can bring.  If you would like further information about internet safety, I highly recommend the NSPCC website.

https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/keeping-children-safe/online-safety/

Achievements

English

Mathematics

Dojo   (merit)

Starfish

Joel   Salt

Joel   Ashburner

Ben   Rixom

Seahorses

Seth   Turner

Libby   Powell

Harry   Webb

Stingrays

Tyler   Jones

Esmee   Pybis

Romeo   Dotterer

Swordfish

Sam   Jessett

Thomas   Sharp

Kerry   Walker

Birthdays

Happy birthday to Orna (Yr 2) who celebrated her 7th birthday this week on Monday.  We hope you had a fabulous day and have enjoyed all your celebrations.

Diary Dates

These are useful dates for your diary that will be added to each week.  More information about each event will be provided nearer the time.

Date

Event

13-02-17

Big Maths Information Evening

15-02-17

Jester for Jesus assembly

17-02-17

Gymnastics comp @ Dowdales, key steps 1 9:30-11am, Key steps   2 & 3 1:15-3pm

17-02-17

Valentines Disco, Buccleuch Hall, 6-8pm

Half term break

27-02-17